Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Linguini and Clams

The clam.         
                                         
Little neck, top neck, cherrystone, chowder.  Just the names of our domestic Quahogs beat out a beautiful pentameter.  These little morsels of muscle can be eaten raw, steamed, sautéed, deep fried, baked, or simmered in a chowdah.
Yet many of us are afraid of this versatile little bivalve. We are afraid to eat it. We are petrified at the thought of cooking it. We are stumped by its shell that must be pried open with knives that serve no other purpose in our kitchens.
We have abandoned the clam to restaurant preparation.
NO MORE I SAY.
I had gone out to get some eggs at the Sunday morning farmer’s market. There they were:  $5 dollars a dozen.  Eggs forgotten, I immediately scooped up the top neck clams and ran home to make my first LINGUINI WITH CLAMS.
Some tips:
1)      If you are planning on eating the clams the next day, put them in a pan with a bed of cornmeal. This will allow them to spit out their sand overnight.

2)      Start water boiling for pasta and cook according to the directions on the box. If you can manage to boil pasta and steam the clam simultaneously, excellent. Otherwise it is acceptable to make the pasta ahead of time.

3)      Wash the clams under cold running water. Use a rough scrub brush to remove all the dirt and sand.


4)      Prepare your pan!
a.       Minced Shallots – 2 TBL
b.      Minced Garlic – 2 tsp
c.       Thyme – a few sprigs
d.      Chili – 2 each (optional, but totally worth it)
e.      Olive Oil – 1 TBL


5)      Sauté the ingredients in your pan until the garlic starts to become aromatic and the shallots become translucent

6)      Place your clams in the pan. Find a cover for the pan!

7)      Once all the liquid from the shallots has evaporated, break out your bottle of white wine.  For clams I prefer a Sauvignon Blanc, but this time I used an off-dry Riesling and was more than satisfied. I will try flat champagne next time!

8)      Pour in enough wine to coat the bottom of the pan and cover the pan with its lid. Remember, we are steaming the clams in the wine (happy little buggers).

9)      Check the clams about every minute and see if they have opened up. Once they have opened they are done. Take out the open ones and wait for the others to pop. If they don’t open after 5 minutes with lots of steam in the pan THROW THEM OUT.

10)   This is a decision point. You can either
a.       Add cream to the wine sauce and thicken it
b.      Decide (like I did) that you really want something green on this dish and make kale

11)   Throw the cream (or greens) into the pan. Once the cream has reduced (or the greens are wilting), stir in your pasta. Coat it completely with the sauce in the pan. You are now ready to plate and serve.
ALWAYS SERVE WITH STYLE!

5 comments:

  1. This was super-delicious... I have always been afraid of making clams because it seemed so hazardous. I didn't realize it would be so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! I have a recipe request... Say I have $40 to make a vegetarian meal for 4. Appetizers aren't necessary, but I would like a 'dinner' and 'dessert.' Assume my pantry stocks the basics (olive oil, flour, eggs, dry herbs). I also want to utilize seasonal (early spring?) produce. I'm thinking savory comfort food... what would you make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw kale is delicious. i think i'm going to make kale chips this weekend. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks great and I think I'll try it next time I see clams at the greenmarket. But if, like the last time I bought clams, they end up possessing 'little necks', can I run upstairs and get you to hold my hand through the process of handling a sink full of strange little muscular and living appendages? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karla, you are welcome to come up anytime with your little steamers!

    ReplyDelete